Angela is a native of South Carolina. She grew up in Greenville and fell in love with Charleston while attending the College of Charleston. Her upstate roots brought her back to Greenville to work as an accountant at KPMG Peat Marwick before attending law school. After attending law school Angela remained in Columbia. Ms. Kirby now calls both Columbia and Charleston home.
Angela is an attorney, CPA, and former Associate Probate Judge for Richland County. The Supreme Court of South Carolina has designated Ms. Kirby as a Certified Estate Planning and Probate Specialist based on her years of experience and passing an additional complex examination that tested her abilities in this particular field of law.
As a former CPA, Ms. Kirby brings her accounting and financial experience to each estate plan that she works on for her clients. Clients benefit by having an attorney not only who understands their sometimes-intricate finances, but also who is able to converse with their other financial advisors in language they understand.
As a former Associate Probate Judge, Ms. Kirby spent over five years on the bench overseeing complex probate issues. Her compassion and understanding of the law allows her to assist families while administering estates. Ms. Kirby has represented hundreds of personal representatives and heirs, and has been involved in all aspects of probate administration and litigation.
As a respected estate planning and probate attorney, Ms. Kirby is a dedicated professional who works diligently on behalf of her clients. She received her initial designation in 2005 as a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law and is in her second 5-year term. Her peers have voted her a SuperLawyer for consecutive years. Ms. Kirby has also received the Midlands Legal Elite award in the field of estate planning for consecutive years.
Ms. Kirby believes in giving back, and is involved in her community. Ms. Kirby served as Secretary of the Board of Trustees of the Township Auditorium and the Township Foundation during the recent $12 million dollar renovation. She continues to serve on the Advisory Board of Rice Estate, a division of Lutheran Homes of South Carolina. She is also a member of the Advisory Board for the Midlands Technical College paralegal program. Ms. Kirby believes in sharing her knowledge of the various issues involved in estate planning and probate, and is often a speaker for various charitable and civic organizations. She also speaks annually for the South Carolina Bar on various estate planning and probate topics, offering her colleagues the insight she has gained during her years working in this practice area.
She regularly donates estate planning legal services to raise money for animal shelters, foundations of local schools and other local charities. In her free time, Ms. Kirby enjoys traveling, music and reading.
- University of South Carolina School of Law
JD, Law - Estate Planning and Probate
Class of 1993
- Clemson University - College of Business and Behavioral Science
Class of 1987
- College of Charleston
Class of 1986
- Columbia Estate Planning Council
- Columbia Tax Study Group
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Certified Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law, 2005 - Current
- Certified Public Accountant, 1990 - Current
Honors and Awards
- SuperLawyer 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Midlands Legal Elite 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Charleston Legal Elite, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Authored "Estate Planning and Probate" Chapter, The Briefcase Lawyer, Second Edition, South Carolina Bar 2012
- Authored "Probate Administration" Chapter, The Paralegal Survival Guide, Second Edition, South Carolina Bar 2010
- Co-authored "Gifts" Chapter, South Carolina Jurisprudence, Volume IX, South Carolina Bar 1992